There’s been a lot of talk recently about sustainability and responsibility due to the COP26 summit.
The Sheffield Guide aims to be as responsible with our products and services as possible, so I just wanted to highlight some of what we do in order to try and do our bit…
Responsible Sheffield Gifts
We’re extremely proud of the quality we offer through The Sheffield Guide’s Sheffield Shop, including the sustainability and responsibility certifications of our products and supply chain — for instance, all of our T-Shirts are 100% organic (suitable for Vegans), Fair Wear, PETA certified and exceptional quality for the price. Even the inks used for printing are non-harmful and use sustainable production methods.
Where possible we support the local economy by sourcing our products and services within the Sheffield city region, which also helps to keep our carbon footprint as small as we can. Additionally, we prioritise independent businesses that use ethical practices and materials where possible. Where it is has not been possible to source to our high standards within the city region, we utilise businesses as close as possible.
Every item we sell is made-to-order, especially for your purchase! As such, we don’t hold huge amounts of stock, which is a practice that leads to huge amounts of wastage, particularly in ‘fast fashion’ industries.
Our Garments Checklist:
- 100% GOTS certified organic cotton
- Where polyester is needed (Hoodies/Sweatshirts, etc, where there is no real alternative), we utilise recycled polyester (or other sustainable materials such as Modal®)
- The supply chain is certified by independent bodies and standards (GOTS, GRS, PETA, OEKO TEX, OCS)
- GOTS certified printing techniques, using non-harmful inks and sustainable production methods
- PETA Approved garments
- Fair Wear Certified suppliers
In addition to our supply-chain ethics, we aim to ensure we’re as responsible as possible getting the goods to you too!
♻️ Orders are shipped in 100% plastic-free packaging.
The packaging used for an order varies depending on the products being shipped, but the information below will give an idea of the packaging you can expect an order to ship in:
Paper mailing bags
Most orders up to a certain size will ship in either a small, medium or large paper mailer.
– Clothing items such as t-shirts and hoodies are folded neatly into these bags; to save on packing materials and reduce waste we do not pack items into individual bags before they are shipped in these mailers.
– Our paper postal mailing bags are manufactured from responsible, sustainable sources to comply with FSC certification. The paper is both compostable and degradable, and paper mailers can be easily recycled, making this an extremely eco-friendly option. The weather-proof parcel protects its contents during transit.
– Cardboard boxes are used for orders too bulky for our large paper mailers. They work in just the same way though; clothing items are folded neatly into them, and any products requiring special packaging to protect them (such as mugs or framed prints) are packed in their own sustainable packaging first before shipping in a box.
Offsetting Our Carbon Footprint
In order to help offset our Carbon Footprint further we are in the process of setting up a programme which will see a tree planted for every single purchase made!
More on that very soon…
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to contact us!